- Wang, X.-J.; Hong, M.* Lewis Pair-mediated Selective Dimerization and Polymerization of Lignocellulose-based β-Angelica Lactone to Biofuel and Acrylic Bioplastic, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2019, DOI: 10.1002/anie.201913136. (published as “Hot Paper”)
- Liu, X.; Hong, M.* Transesterification by Air/moisture-tolerant Bifunctional Organocatalyst to Produce ‘Nonstrained’ γ-Butyrolactone-based Aliphatic Copolyesters: Turning A Bane into A Boon, Eur. Polym. J. 2019, 121, 109277. (invited contribution to the themed issue entitled “Ring-Opening Polymerization”)
- Liu, X.; Hong, M.;* Falivene, L.;* Cavallo, L.; Chen, E. Y.-X.* Closed-Loop Polymer Upcycling by Installing Property-Enhancing Comonomer Sequences and Recyclability, Macromolecules 2019, 52, 4570.
- Hong, M.;* Chen, E. Y.-X.* Future Directions for Sustainable Polymers, Trends Chem. 2019, 1, 148. (invited contribution to the special launch issue)
- Yuan, P.-J.; Hong, M.* Ring-opening Polymerizations of the ‘Non-strained’ γ-Butyrolactone and Its Derivatives: An Overview and Outlook, Acta Polym. Sin. 2019, 50, 327. (Invited Critical Review)
- Hong, M.;* Chen, J.; Chen, E. Y.-X.* Polymerization of Polar Monomers Mediated by Main-Group Lewis Acid-Base Pairs, Chem. Rev. 2018, 118, 10551.
- Wang, X.; Zhang, Y.; Hong, M.* Controlled and Efficient Polymerization of Conjugated Polar Alkenes by Lewis Pairs Based on Sterically Hindered Aryloxide-Substituted Alkylaluminum, Molecules 2018, 23, 442. (Invited contribution to the special issue on “Lewis Pair Polymerization for New Reactivity and Structure in Polymer Synthesis”)
- Li, H.; Ai, B.-R.; Hong, M.* Stereoselective Ring-Opening Polymerization of rac-Lactide by Bulky Chiral and Achiral N-Heterocyclic Carbenes, Chinese J. Polym. Sci. 2018, 36, 231. (Invited contribution to the special issue on “Metal Complexes-mediated Catalysis in Polymerization”)
- Hong, M.;* Tang, X.; Newell, B. S.; Chen, E. Y.-X.* “Nonstrained” γ‑Butyrolactone-based Copolyesters: Copolymerization Characteristics and Composition-Dependent (Thermal, Eutectic, Cocrystallization, and Degradation) Properties, Macromolecules 2017, 50, 8469.
- Wang, Y.; Hong, M.; Bailey, T. S.; Chen, E. Y.-X.* Brush Polymer of Donor-accepter Dyads via Adduct Formation between Lewis Base Polymer Donor and All Carbon Lewis Acid Acceptor, Molecules 2017, 22, 1564. (Invited contribution to the special issue on “Lewis Pair Polymerization for New Reactivity and Structure in Polymer Synthesis”)
- Hong, M.;* Chen, E. Y.-X.* Chemically Recyclable Polymers: A Circular Economy Approach to Sustainability, Green Chem. 2017, 19, 3692-3706. (Invited Critical Review, 2017 Green Chemistry Hot Article)
- Wang, Y.; Bailey, T.; Hong, M.;* Chen, E. Y.-X.* Stereoregular Brush Polymers and Graft Copolymers by Chiral Zirconocene-Mediated Coordination Polymerization of P3HT Macromers, Polymers 2017, 9, 139. (Invited contribution to the special issue on “metal complexes-mediated catalysis in polymerization”)
From Postdoctoral and Ph.D. Work:
- Hong, M.; Chen, E. Y.-X.* “Completely Recyclable Biopolymers with Linear and Cyclic Topologies via Ring-opening Polymerization of γ-Butyrolactone”, Nat. Chem. 2016, 8, 42-49. Highlighted by Nature Chemistry (To react the impossible ring) and CCTV-America (No more plastic waste: scientist creates recyclable polymers).
- Hong, M.; Chen, E. Y.-X.* “Towards Truly Sustainable Polymers: Metal-Free Recyclable Polyester from Biorenewable Non-Strained gamma-Butyrolactone”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2016, 55, 4188-4193. Designated hot article, highlighted by Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. (Sustainable bioplastics for biomedical applications) and Chemical & Engineering News (Chemists unveil ‘truly sustainable’ polymers).
- Hong, M.; Tang, X.; Falivene, L.; Caporaso, L.; Cavallo, L.;* Chen, E. Y.-X.* “Proton-Transfer Polymerization by N-Heterocyclic Carbenes: Monomer and Catalyst Scopes and Mechanism for Converting Dimethacrylates into Unsaturated Polyesters”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016,138, 2021-2035.
- Hong, M.; Chen, E. Y.-X.* “Polymeric Carbon Lewis Base–Acid Adducts: Poly(NHC–C60)”, Polym. Chem. 2015, 6, 1741–1750.
- Hong, M.; Chen, E. Y.-X.* “Proton-Transfer Polymerization (HTP): Converting Methacrylates into Polyesters by an N-Heterocyclic Carbene”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2014, 53, 11900–11906. This is the part of “Green Condensation Reactions for Renewable Chemicals, Liquid Fuels, and Biodegradable Polymers” technology that won the 2015 Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award, and also highlighted by Chemical & Engineering News (Green in 2015).
- Hong, M.; Chen, E. Y.-X.* “Coordination Ring-opening Copolymerization of Naturally Renewable α-Methylene-γ-butyrolactone into Unsaturated Polyesters”, Macromolecules 2014, 47, 3614–3624.
- Hong, M.; Yang, G. F.; Long, Y. Y.; Yu, S. J.; Li, Y. S.* “Preparation of Novel Cyclic Olefin Copolymer with High Glass Transition Temperature”, J. Polym. Sci. Part A: Polym. Chem. 2013, 51, 3144-3152.
- Hong, M.; Cui, L.; Li, B. X.; Li, Y. S.* “Synthesis of Novel Cyclic Olefin Copolymer (COC) with High Performance via Effective Copolymerization of Ethylene with Bulky Cyclic Olefin”, Macromolecules 2012, 45, 5397-5402.
- Hong, M.; Liu, S. R.; Li, B. X.; Li, Y. S.* “Application of Thiol-ene Click Chemistry to Preparation of Functional Polyethylene with High Molecular Weight and High Polar Group Content: Influence of Thiol Structure and Vinyl Type on Reactivity”, J. Polym. Sci. Part A: Polym. Chem. 2012, 50, 2499-2506.
- Hong, M.; Li, Y. G.; Li, B. X.; Li, Y. S.* “Synthesis of Polyethylene Containing Cumulative Double Bond: a Simple and Efficient Route to Functional Polyethylene”, Macromol. Rapid Commun. 2012, 33, 998-1002.
- Hong, M.; Li, B. X.; Li, Y. S.* “Synthesis of Functional Polyethylene via Copolymerization of Ethylene and Substituted Allene using Bis(β-enaminoketonato)titanium Catalysts”, Chinese J. Polym. Sci. 2011, 29, 692-698.
- Hong, M.; Liu, J. Y.; Li, B. X.; Li, Y. S.* “Facile Functionalization of Polyethylene via Click Chemistry”, Macromolecules 2011, 44, 5659-5665.
- Hong, M.; Wang, Y. X.; Mu, H. L.; Li, Y. S.* “Efficient Synthesis of Hydroxylated Polyethylene via Copolymerization of Ethylene with 5-Norbornene-2-methanol using Bis(β-enaminoketonato)titanium Catalysts”, Organometallics 2011, 30, 4678-4686.
- Hong, M.; Pan, L.; Li, B. X.; Li, Y. S.* “Synthesis of Novel Poly(ethylene-ter-1-hexene-ter-dicyclopentadiene)s using Bis(β-enaminoketonato)titanium Catalysts and Their Applications in Preparing Polyolefin-graft-poly(ε-polycaprolactone)”, Polymer 2010, 51, 3636-3643.
- Hong, M.; Pan, L.; Ye, W. P.; Song, D. P.; Li, Y. S.* “Facile, Efficient Functionalization of Polyethylene via Regioselective Copolymerization of Ethylene with Cyclic Dienes”, J. Polym. Sci. Part A: Polym. Chem. 2010, 48, 1764-1772.
- Chen, E. Y.-X.; Hong, M.; Tang, X. “Ring-Opening Polymerization Methods and Recyclable Biorenewable Polyesters”, PCT Int. Appl. WO 2016164911 A2, 2016.
- 李悦生, 洪缪, 李彦国, 崔磊, “一种环烯烃共聚物及其制备方法” 中国专利申请号：CN201210140493. X, 2012